China Internet Still Terribly Slow

Is everybody trying to play games after 18:00? Is the available bandwidth less in the evening to cut cost for China Telecom’s use of satellite back ups or is there another explanation for this?

The news is that it will take until the end of the month to make the great leap back to 2007 but it wouldn’t surprise me if we may linger a bit longer in 1997.

It’s not an important medium anyway, I can’t recall any business, let alone individuals that actually rely on it and China is scientifically & technologically advanced enough to do without.

Possibly Related Posts

12 Responses to “China Internet Still Terribly Slow”

1. Wesley Tanaka
    January 11th, 2007 10:32

It’s been tolerable in Yunnan already for a week or so now.

2. Wesley Tanaka
    January 11th, 2007 10:34

(not that it was all that fast pre-earthquake)

3. AsiaPundit » Blog Archive » China Internet Still Broken
    January 12th, 2007 02:57

Meanwhile, Gemme finds the situation similar in Shanghai: The Internet in China is still at snail speed and for some weird reason it gets worse in the evening. …

4. Shanghai
    January 12th, 2007 05:18

I guess going back to Kunming becomes a viable option:) Also the weather must be better than it is here now so Wenlin Jie here I come. If only I could.

5. Myrick
    January 12th, 2007 05:43

I had been thinking that my daytime access at the office was better because corporate contracts were getting priority over residential ones. But it wouldn’t surprise me if — as you suggest — China telecom is scaling back its satellite service at the end of the business day. If so, residential subscribers should be compensated. Regardless of the quake, we are paying for access and they have enough equity from their duopoly to suck up the one-time hit.

6. Shanghai
    January 12th, 2007 06:10

If only that would be possible but I don’t think they really care. Could try a class suit against the 2:) I’m afraid though that won’t do any good as well.

Maybe I’m getting Chinafied but I have decided not to get too upset anymore about this disaster. Which basically it is although I’m not sure whether the outside world is really picking up on this. Like you mentioned in your post, this all costs a hell of a lot of money and doesn’t make the place a stable business environment.Especially the weekly postponement announcements are becoming hilarious.

Anyway, I just keep surfing and I’m sure one day I will be happily surprised I can use my online banking again, can download files bigger than 1 mb, read my Dutch newspaper at full speed and just live the comfortable live I have gotten used to.

7. laundry man
    January 15th, 2007 03:15

It is greatly affecting my business, I live in China and run an ecommerce site in the USA. I might have to fly back to the USA if they won’t fix it soon.

8. China Internet Slow Again | Shanghai China Snippets
    January 24th, 2007 23:26

My previous article about the slow speed of the Internet gets a lot of visitors searching for terms related to the incompetent structure of the Internet in China. …

9. Bard
    January 26th, 2007 01:29

Yeah, I found this site while searching for news on when the internet might get ANY better. I’m in Wuhan, and I’m still struggeling to open basic sites in the US and Europe. I do freelance webwork for companies in the US and Europe and I’m having problems with FTP uploads of files bigger then 100 KB! It’s horrible and we are talking a month already with this. Nice site by the way :) It tops the google search on “internet still slow in China” :D

Cheers!

10. Shanghai
    January 26th, 2007 01:59

And the thing is, it isn’t getting so much better.. I checked your website Bard but for some reason I had to use a proxy. Checked out your artwork. Looks good.

And yeah, I want to rule Google for any search with “slow internet china” in it:)

11. China Internet Speed too Slow or Just DSL Slow? | Binh dot Name
    November 23rd, 2007 09:36

At first I was blaming China for not having stable speed. Then yesterday I found out in January someone also said “China Internet Still Terribly Slow“: The Internet in China is still at snail speed and for some weird reason it gets worse in the evening. …

12. XingYang
    August 17th, 2009 14:09

The internet is even slower today for even those of us who have normally fast connections.

Reason here: http://www.iphoneinchina.com/2009/08/typhoon-morakot-disrupts-internet-connection-for-many-in-asia/

Also, is your statement about the internet not being an important medium supposed to be sarcastic? I sure hope so :)